Our purpose is to provide the best opportunity for people to
become fully devoted followers of Jesus in a fellowship of
G – Glorify God Through Biblical Worship
R – Relate Together As A Christian Family
A – Apply God’s Truth Through Discipleship
C – Cultivate A Lifestyle Of Service
E – Expand God’s Kingdom Through Evangelism
Plainfield Baptist Church history dates back to December 2, 1956, with a group of Christians interested in establishing a Southern Baptist Church in Plainfield, Indiana. It was decided by the group to meet on Sunday evenings in the old library basement at 120 South Center Street. Within a few weeks, interest had grown sufficiently and the American Legion Hall was secured for church services. The Marwood Baptist Church, Indianapolis, extended its help to sponsor the group of Plainfield people as a mission.
On March 31, 1957, Plainfield Baptist Church was constituted with 24 charter members. On June 9, 1957, the congregation voted to purchase the building being vacated by the Methodist congregation located at 301 South Center Street, Plainfield. The parsonage at 301 South Vine Street was also secured at this time. The first service held in the newly acquired building was on August 17, 1958. In 1968, the congregation acquired two additional properties. One was secured for a parsonage located at 1422 Stafford Road, and the second was the Era Gibbs property adjacent to the church auditorium which was converted into a parking lot and activity area. In 1977, the church purchased the house at 302 South Vine Street.
The property at 1422 Stafford Road was sold in 1986 and a 12 acre parcel of ground on Reeves Road was purchased for a new facility. In the spring of 1987, the church at 301 South Center Street and the adjoining properties were sold to the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church and construction was started on a new building at 1575 Reeves Road. Much of the work was done by volunteer labor teams from Mississippi, Alabama, other states, and many of our own members. The first services were held in the new 14,000 square foot facility on the last Sunday in August, 1987.
Plainfield Baptist has been involved three times in the establishment of new churches. In July, 1961, the congregation extended an arm to the Brownsburg community and sponsored the Memorial Baptist Church. Lebanon was sponsored by Plainfield until it constituted in 1963. In 1965 the Danville Baptist Chapel was assisted until it organized as the Hillcrest Baptist Church on August 4, 1974.
Plainfield Baptist Church continues to expand its ministries as the population of west suburban Indianapolis grows at a rapid pace.